Criminal Immigration Defense Attorney
Criminal Immigration Defense Lawyer Criminal Immigration Defense Lawyer About the Firm Our Results Our Results Our Results Contact Us

Expiring or Lost I-551 Green Card for Immigrants with Crimes

San Jose Immigration Defense Attorney

The U.S. Green Card is an official document issued by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services which serves as evidence that you have been granted permanent residency in the U.S.  It is called the "Green Card" because the original document issued by the immigration service was green.  Over the years, the card has gone through a variety of color changes, including pink, but it is now green again.  It is officially called an "I-551 Permanent Resident Card".

To improve document security and keep tabs on immigrants who have been engaged in criminal activity, the U.S. immigrant service in 1989 began issuing green cards with a 10 year expiration date.  As your expiration date approaches, the law requires that apply to renew your card on a USCIS Form I-90 Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card.  If you lose your green card, the law also requires you to file an I-90 to replace your I-551 card.

Applying to renew or replace your green card is normally a straightforward process.  However, if you have been convicted of a crime, what should have been an easy application can be extremely dangerous for your permanent resident status and might lead to deportation from the U.S.  To renew or replace a green card, applicants are required to submit to biometrics (fingerprinting) and a criminal background check.  If the criminal background check comes back with convictions or arrests, USCIS will request that you turn in certified conviction records.  Once the immigration service obtains the records, whether through the immigrant or on its own, it then decides whether you are deportable and should be placed in front of an immigration judge for removal proceedings.

This is a huge shock to many immigrants.  Non-citizens who thought they had paid their dues for their crimes, who believed that they were safe from deportation after living in the U.S. for decades, and traveled many times out of the U.S. without being hassled by immigration, cannot believe that they could now be put in ICE detention and deported.  To avoid any surprises, it is critical that you speak with a knowledgeable and experienced immigration attorney at our firm to go over your green card renewal options.  For many non-citizens, we can find real solutions to avoid deportation and even put you on the road to U.S. citizenship

For assistance with you application, contact an immigration defense attorney in San Jose.

Immigration Defense Lawyer in San Jose

Daniel Shanfield, Esq. Immigration Defense assists clients in the San Jose area with expiring Green Cards.  We can help you with the renewal of your card.  Our firm is always ready to assist you if you encounter any problem when you attempt to reenter the country with expired documentation.

Contact a San Jose immigration defense attorney at our firm for assistance in renewing your Green Card.

Click here to instantly connect to our office
Immigration FAQ
Immigration Services
I-601A Stateside Provisional Waivers
Immigration Defense
Citizenship & Naturalization
Deferred Action
Deportation Defense
Asylum & Refugee Status
Adam Walsh Act
Bond Hearings
Brothers and Sisters of U.S. Citizens
Cancellation of Removal
Criminal Immigration Problems
Deportation & Asylum
DHS Northern Hemisphere Travel Initiative
Expiring I-551 Green Card
Family Immigration Petitions
Federal Court Immigration Litigation
I-751 Marriage Visas
Immigration Fraud
Joint Petitions and Waivers for Spouses
K1/K3 Marriage Visa
Married Sons & Daughters of U.S. Citizens
Parents of U.S. Citizens
Permanent Residency
Permanent Resident with Crimes
Post Conviction Relief
San Francisco Asylum Office
San Francisco Immigration Court
Sons and Daughters of U.S. Citizens
Spouse & Unmarried Children of U.S. Residents
Spouse of a U.S. Citizen
U Visa
VAWA Petitions
Visa Renewal
Visiting the U.S.
If you are a new or existing client, click here to login to your profile
31 North 2nd Street, Suite 200  San Jose, CA 95113

Attorney Web Design

The information on this Bay Area Immigration & Citizenship Attorneys & Lawyers/Law Firm website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. Each legal case is different, and the endorsements, recommendations and cases described herein do not constitute a prediction or guarantee of success or failure in any other case. This information on this website is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.
Address: 111 W. St John Street, Suite 315 San Jose, CA 95113 Phone: (866) 559-9498 Local: (408) 275-6565