Criminal Immigration Defense Attorney
Criminal Immigration Defense Lawyer Criminal Immigration Defense Lawyer About the Firm Our Results Our Results Our Results Contact Us

Sons and Daughters of U.S. Citizens

San Francisco and San Jose Immigration Defense Attorney

You've worked hard to become U.S. citizen, and naturally you want your children to enjoy permanent status in the U.S. We help clients with family immigration matters and can help you with obtaining and expediting your son or daughters immigrant visa, and with adjustment of status. For years, Daniel Shanfield, Esq. has successfully fought to resolve difficult immigration cases. Mr. Shanfield is a former New York Law School adjunct clinical law professor, and was an attorney with the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service. Daniel Shanfield has been rated a Northern California "Super Lawyer" by San Francisco Magazine and rated 10/10 by as superb in experience, industry recognition and professional conduct. We strongly recommend that you contact a San Francisco and San Jose immigration lawyer as soon as possible to help you resolve your married children's immigration matters.

Bringing Your Children to the U.S.

The I-130 Petition is used to obtain permanent residency for children over age 21. As the Petitioner, in general, you must be residing in the U.S. when you file the petition. Under U.S. immigration law, married sons and daughters fall under a lower priority category unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens. The law provides only 23,400 primary beneficiaries (children approved for permanent residency) per year, and since there are many more petitioned immigrants than visas given out each year, the category is backlogged by a number of years, as set forth in the State Department Visa Bulletin.

After your primary beneficiary son or daughter is approved, they may apply for an immigrant visa overseas. Their under age 21 children may accompany them, whether married or not. If a child reaches age 21 before your petition is approved, he or she can come in under certain circumstances.

Children Already in the U.S.

A married son or daughter with an approved I-130 petition may apply for adjustment of status petition if in current lawfully admitted status or if qualified under 245(i). Your son or daughter may apply for a work permit and in some cases a travel permit at the same time.

A married son or daughter who is here out of status or without inspection will normally have to leave the country before you file your application, unless qualified under 245(i). Because there can be exceptions to this rule, you should consult your lawyer before making any decisions.

Contact a San Francisco and Jose immigration defense attorney at our firm for help establishing your sons and daughters in the U.S.

Click here to instantly connect to our office
I-601A Stateside Provisional Waivers
Immigration FAQ
Immigration Defense
Immigration Services
Citizenship & Naturalization
Deferred Action
Deportation Defense
Asylum & Refugee Status
Adam Walsh Act
Bond Hearings
Brothers and Sisters of US Citizens
Cancellation of Removal
Criminal Immigration Problems
Deportation & Asylum
DHS Northern Hemisphere Travel Initiative
Expiring I-551 Green Card
Family Immigration Petitions
Federal Court Immigration Litigation
I-751 Marriage Visas
Immigration Fraud
Joint Petitions and Waivers for Spouses
K1/K3 Marriage Visa
Married Sons & Daughters of US Citizens
Parents of US Citizen
Permanent Residency
Permanent Resident with Crimes
Post Conviction Relief
San Francisco Asylum Office
San Francisco Immigration Court
Sons and Daughters of US Citizens
Spouse & Unmarried Children of US Residents
Spouse of US Citizen
U Visa
VAWA Petitions
Visa Renewal
Visiting the US
If you are a new or existing client, click here to login to your profile
31 North 2nd Street, Suite 200  San Jose, CA 95113

Attorney Web Design

The information on this Bay Area Immigration & Citizenship Attorneys & Lawyers/Law Firm website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. Each legal case is different, and the endorsements, recommendations and cases described herein do not constitute a prediction or guarantee of success or failure in any other case. This information on this website is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.
Address: 111 W. St John Street, Suite 315 San Jose, CA 95113 Phone: (866) 559-9498 Local: (408) 275-6565