Criminal Immigration Defense Attorney
Criminal Immigration Defense Lawyer Criminal Immigration Defense Lawyer About the Firm Our Results Our Results Our Results Contact Us

Sons and Daughters of U.S. Citizens

San Francisco and San Jose Immigration Defense Attorney

You are a U.S. citizen and have adult sons and daughters who are not. Naturally you want your family to join you in the U.S. Applying for their green cards can be a very delicate legal matter. Daniel Shanfield Esq. Immigration Defense has successfully fought to obtain permanent residency for immigrants and their families for over a decade. Thanks to Daniel's background as a former attorney and prosecutor with the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service, our firm has the critical insights you need to successfully reunite your family in the United States. We strongly urge you contact a San Francisco and San Jose immigration lawyer for help.

Bringing Your Children to the U.S.

As the U.S. citizen petitioner, you must generally be in the United States when you file the I-130 petition. You may use the I-130 Petition for sons and daughters over 21 to obtain their permanent residency in the U.S. You may petition for them if they are married or unmarried, but they will be assigned a lower priority as married sons or daughters. The law allows only 23,400 primary beneficiaries (children approved for permanent residency) per year, so approval will not be immediate.

Once the I-130 petition for your primary beneficiary sons or daughters are approved, they may then apply for an immigrant visa or adjustment of status to come and live in the U.S. Their under age 21 children may also accompany them as derivatives whether they are married or single. If a derivative child reaches age 21 before his or her permanent residency is approved, the green card may still be approved under certain circumstances.

Adult Sons and Daughters Already in the U.S.

In some instances your son or daughter who is in already in the United States in lawful status visitor or non-immigrant status may apply for permanent residency under adjustment of status. Your son or daughter may seek a work permit and qualify for a travel permit while the adjustment application is pending. If your adult son or daughter has overstayed his non-immigrant visa, you may still file an I-130 petition, but her or she will likely have to apply for a green card back in the home country unless eligible for 245(i) protection. If your son or daughter departs after having overstayed by 180 days, he or she will not be allowed to return for several years.

Also, an adult son or daughter present in the U.S. without inspection normally must leave the country to apply for U.S. permanent residency. There are some exceptions. You must consult your attorney to ensure you avoid making a mistake. Our goal is to help you bring your immigration case to a successful conclusion.

We urge you to contact a San Francico and San Jose immigration defense lawyer for tenacious and insightful assistance with your sons and daughters immigration.

Click here to instantly connect to our office
I-601A Stateside Provisional Waivers
Immigration FAQ
Immigration Defense
Immigration Services
Citizenship & Naturalization
Deferred Action
Deportation Defense
Asylum & Refugee Status
Adam Walsh Act
Bond Hearings
Brothers and Sisters of US Citizens
Cancellation of Removal
Criminal Immigration Problems
Deportation & Asylum
DHS Northern Hemisphere Travel Initiative
Expiring I-551 Green Card
Family Immigration Petitions
Federal Court Immigration Litigation
I-751 Marriage Visas
Immigration Fraud
Joint Petitions and Waivers for Spouses
K1/K3 Marriage Visa
Married Sons & Daughters of US Citizens
Parents of US Citizen
Permanent Residency
Permanent Resident with Crimes
Post Conviction Relief
San Francisco Asylum Office
San Francisco Immigration Court
Sons and Daughters of US Citizens
Spouse & Unmarried Children of US Residents
Spouse of US Citizen
U Visa
VAWA Petitions
Visa Renewal
Visiting the US
If you are a new or existing client, click here to login to your profile
31 North 2nd Street, Suite 200  San Jose, CA 95113

Attorney Web Design

The information on this Bay Area Immigration & Citizenship Attorneys & Lawyers/Law Firm website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. Each legal case is different, and the endorsements, recommendations and cases described herein do not constitute a prediction or guarantee of success or failure in any other case. This information on this website is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.
Address: 111 W. St John Street, Suite 315 San Jose, CA 95113 Phone: (866) 559-9498 Local: (408) 275-6565