Criminal Immigration Defense Attorney
Criminal Immigration Defense Lawyer Criminal Immigration Defense Lawyer About the Firm Our Results Our Results Our Results Contact Us

Spouse of a U.S. Citizen (Within the U.S.)

Immigration Lawyer in San Jose and San Francisco

As a U.S. citizen you can apply for permanent residency for a spouse you married inside this country who does not have this status. You must address all immigration matters correctly with a full understanding of any difficulties which exist. If your spouse is here illegally you must become informed of the potential problems of making this application. You are urged to contact an immigration attorney in San Jose and San Francisco for skillful guidance.

If Your Spouse Came in Legally

In most cases, you may apply immediately for adjustment of status to permanent resident with a concurrently field I-130 petition. Your spouse may also apply for a work permit while the green card application is pending. Even if your spouse has overstayed his or her visa, you may still apply. Your spouse must remain in the country until the application is approved. If your spouse leaves, he or she may be barred from returning for several years.

If the Spouse Came in Without Inspection

This application takes great care and underlying knowledge. Normally under these circumstances your spouse will be required to leave the country and apply at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate in order to return. There are certain exceptions which would allow your spouse to have the interview here in the United States, including qualifying under INA Section 245(i). You need to seek the guidance of an attorney to handle this correctly.

Conditional Residency

If you have been married less than 2 years at the time of making this application, your spouse will be granted a conditional lawful permanent residence valid for 2 years. Approximately 2 months before the date of expiration you need to file a petition with your spouse to make the conditional residency permanent (I-751 Petition). USCIS may seek to deport your spouse if you fail to act in time.

San Jose Immigration Attorney

Daniel Shanfield, Esq. Immigration Defense works with clients in the San Jose area and throughout Northern California who seek permanent resident status for their spouses. Our legal team is skilled in guiding clients through the green card process and preparing petitions on their behalf. Mr. Shanfield, our firm's lead attorney, is a veteran at expediting immigrant visa petitions and overcoming potential grounds of disqualification. Our clients benefit from his unique insights as a former U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service attorney and extensive knowledge of immigration law.

Contact an immigration lawyer in San Jose and San Francisco at our firm for seasoned guidance in obtaining permanent residency status for your spouse.

Click here to instantly connect to our office
I-601A Stateside Provisional Waivers
Immigration FAQ
Immigration Defense
Immigration Services
Citizenship & Naturalization
Deferred Action
Deportation Defense
Asylum & Refugee Status
Adam Walsh Act
Bond Hearings
Brothers and Sisters of US Citizens
Cancellation of Removal
Criminal Immigration Problems
Deportation & Asylum
DHS Northern Hemisphere Travel Initiative
Expiring I-551 Green Card
Family Immigration Petitions
Federal Court Immigration Litigation
I-751 Marriage Visas
Immigration Fraud
Joint Petitions and Waivers for Spouses
K1/K3 Marriage Visa
Married Sons & Daughters of US Citizens
Parents of US Citizen
Permanent Residency
Permanent Resident with Crimes
San Francisco Asylum Office
San Francisco Immigration Court
Sons and Daughters of US Citizens
Spouse & Unmarried Children of US Residents
Spouse of US Citizen
U Visa
VAWA Petitions
Visiting the US
If you are a new or existing client, click here to login to your profile
31 North 2nd Street, Suite 200  San Jose, CA 95113

Attorney Web Design

The information on this Bay Area Immigration & Citizenship Attorneys & Lawyers/Law Firm website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. Each legal case is different, and the endorsements, recommendations and cases described herein do not constitute a prediction or guarantee of success or failure in any other case. This information on this website is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.
Address: 111 W. St John Street, Suite 315 San Jose, CA 95113 Phone: (866) 559-9498 Local: (408) 275-6565