Determined & Skilled Immigration Defense

Brothers and Sisters of U.S. Citizens

San Francisco and San Jose Immigration Defense Attorney

You are a U.S. citizen and wish to obtain permanent resident status for your siblings. Immigration issues require skilled and professional handling. We help clients with obtaining visas, preparing petitions, and expediting approvals for their family members, including siblings, parents, spouses, and children.

If your siblings are lawfully admitted to the United States and a visa is immediately available, we can pursue adjustment of status. Daniel Shanfield, Esq. Immigration Defense makes your success our highest priority. Our legal team takes a personal interest in your immigration problem and will work to solve the matter quickly.

We urge you to contact a San Francisco and Jose Immigration defense lawyer.

Bringing Siblings to the United States

As a U.S. citizen, over age 21 and residing in the U.S. you may file an I-130 petition to bring your brothers and sisters to the United States for permanent residence. Once your petition for your sibling is approved, they can bring a spouse and any unmarried children under age 21.

Your sibling's ages and marital status do not matter. You must have at least one common parent. This is a Family-Sponsored 4th preference and only 65,000 cases may be accepted each year. As a result, there is a lengthy waiting list, as set forth in the Department of State Visa Bulletin.

If a child reaches age 21 before approval is granted, we still may be able to gain admission for that child. You should have legal counsel review your particular circumstances.

Brother or Sister Already in the U.S.

Adjustment of status for your brothers is available for brothers and sisters of United States citizens present and lawfully admitted to the United States in connection with a previously filed petition if the visa is immediately available. Brothers and sisters who are here without inspection or who have overstayed their visas, in general, must leave the United States to apply for permanent residency unless they qualify for 245(i). Consult a lawyer before taking any action as there can be exceptions and there are serious consequences for leaving the United States after a period of unlawful presence.

Contact a San Francisco and San Jose immigration defense attorney at our firm for assistance with an immigration petition for your brother or sister.

Clients Tell Their Stories

  • “...their professional approach to all my concerns gave me the confidence I needed to relax”


  • “Efficient and knowledgeable...especially for complicated and non-standard immigration cases.”


  • “ case was a kind of difficult one, but Daniel made it done.”


  • “The outcome of their professionalism and expertise resulted in my deportation case being dismissed.”


  • “this office should always be your first choice.”


  • “Thank you to Law Offices of Daniel Shanfield for all your hard work.”


  • “ was their expertise, diligence, and hard work that produced a successful outcome for me.”

    Former Client

Get Started Today

We Fight Relentlessly for Your Success
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.