Can U.S. Citizens Help Their Parents Receive Green Cards?


If you live in the United States and want to bring your parents to live in the country legally, you can do so as long as you are a US citizen and over 21 years of age. The United States has a family-based green card process that allows US citizens to request that their parents or other immediate relatives come to live in the country by sponsoring them.

Since the parents are classified as “immediate relatives” under immigration law, there is no limit to the total number of green cards that can be applied under this category.

Other immediate relatives include:

· The spouse of a US citizen;
Or the children under the age of 21 of a US citizen

To start this process, the US citizen must complete and submit an immigrant visa application (Form I-130) for each of her parents. This document will verify her citizenship and the family relationship since it must include copies of her passport, her naturalization certificate, or other proof of citizenship. It must also be accompanied by your birth certificate, in which the names of both parents appear.

While the time to process your application may be faster for parents of US citizens, they must also meet all of the same requirements as any other applicant. Some of these requirements include the following:

1. Prove the relationship with the US citizen: This would put you in the immediate relative category, in which case there are no fees or wait times to get a green card.

2. Having entered the country legally: Should the parents enter the United States illegally, they could face an entry ban of between 3 and 10 years before being able to re-enter unless they qualify for a waiver.

3. Admissibility: The father must not be inadmissible to the US Immigration Services. They can be denied a green card for having a criminal record, having a history of immigration violations, or for health problems, among others.

4. Financial Sponsorship: The US citizen must demonstrate that he can financially support his parents at 125% above the US poverty level.

At Shanfield Law Firm, we are dedicated to bringing families together in difficult times. Contact us today so that we can start your process and you can have your loved ones with you. Call us today and schedule a consultation!

More Articles