Humanitarian, Asylum
and Victim of Crime Visas

Victims of crimes in the United States and in other countries may be eligible for a specific type of temporary or permanent residential status in the U.S. These special visas have strict eligibility requirements, and the process can be complicated. 

The special visas that victims of crime and persecution can apply for include:

  • U Humanitarian Visa for Victims of Crimes
  • Political Asylum and Religious Refugees
  • TPS Travel Documents and Adjustment of Status
  • VAWA (Violence Against Women Act)


At Daniel Shanfield Immigration Defense PC, we fight for clients who face persecution from their home country, as well as those who are the victim of physical violence or trafficking. 


What is Asylum? 

Asylum is a temporary residence status in the U.S. based on humanitarian grounds. To qualify for asylum, you must prove that you have a well-grounded fear of persecution in your home country based on: 

  • Race
  • Nationality
  • Religion
  • Political Opinion
  • Membership in a Particular Social Group


What is a U Visa?

A U visa is a non-immigrant visa that is available to victims of certain crimes in the U.S. The crime must be a qualifying crime, such as assault, sexual crimes, forced labor, enslavement, trafficking, violent crimes, or obstruction of justice. 

If you need asylum or are the victim of a crime, contact Daniel Shanfield Immigration Defense PC. We are happy to discuss your rights and options, and will help you pursue the best avenues possible for a safe and bright future.